This week is the busiest for the month-long celebration of the National Children’s Book Day, which is celebrated every third Tuesday of July to commemorate the anniversary of the publication of Jose Rizal’s “The Monkey and the Turtle” in Trubner’s Oriental Record in London. With the theme,“Bumasa at Lumaya,” the NCBD events are organised by the Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY). And here are three things we can do to support the events.
1) Follow the Bumasa at Lumaya 2 Blog Tour
The second edition of Bumasa at Lumaya, a reference book on Philippine children’s and young adult literature, will be launched on 23rd July. To spread the word about this must-have book, Zarah Gagatiga of School Librarian in Action is hosting a blog tour that starts today. Here is the schedule:
- * July 17 Bumasa at Lumaya 2 Blog Tour Introduction
- * July 18 Xi Zuq’s Nook: Chapter Feature (Ang Panitikang Pambata sa Filipinas: 2000-2013 by Eugene Evasco)
- * July 19 Bookbed: Book Review, & Josephine Litonjua of Cinderella Stories: Contributor Interview (Zarah Gagatiga)
- * July 20 Zarah G. Gagatiga of School Librarian in Action: Book Review, & Cris Tanjutco of Teacher’s Pet: Chapter Feature (The Magic of the Frozen Moment: A Crash Course in Comics Appreciation)
- * July 21 Blooey Singson of Bookmarked! (Book Review), & Mina V. Esguerra of Publishing in Pajamas (Contributor Interview: Carla M. Pacis and Ramon C. Sunico)
- * July 22 Bookbed: Contributor Interview; Cassandra Javier of She Flies with Fairies: Book Review and Contributor Interview (Paolo Chikiamco)
- * July 23 Josephine Litonjua of Cinderella Stories: Book Review; Jord Earving Gadingan of Tsa-tsub!: Book Review; & Tarie Sabido of Asia in the Heart, World on the Mind: Book Review & Closing
2) Get to know the NCBA, PBBY-Salanga, & PBBY-Alcala winners
On Tuesday, the grand prize winners and honourable mentions of the annual PBBY-Salanga Writer’s Prize and the PBBY-Alcala Illustrator’s Prize will be awarded in a ceremony at the Cultural Centre of the Philippines. (XZN will also feature this week winners Genaro Gojo Cruz and Mark Lawrence Andres.)
Part of this event too is the awarding of the 3rd National Children’s Book Awards (NCBA), which recognises the excellent works of children’s book creators, done in partnership with the National Book Development Board.
3) Attend the Book Fair and Children’s Literature Talks
The Xavier School in San Juan will host the Book Fair and Children’s Literature Talks on the 23rd. The fair shall feature local children’s book publishers. Aside from selling selected titles at a discounted rate, publishers will also hold simultaneous storytelling sessions. A special package of all winning NCBA titles, from 2010 to 2016, may also be purchased at the fair.
The culmination of the NCBD celebration is the Children’s Literature Talks. The program will start with the book launch of Bumasa at Lumaya 2, a Sourcebook on Children’s Literature in the Philippines. This whole-day event will also be a gathering of writers, illustrators, students, storytellers, teachers, librarians, and parents. For a registration fee of PHP800.00, participants may choose to attend among discussions on writing sensitive stories, body positivity on young adult fiction, the evolution of children’s book illustrations, raising multilingual readers, and more.
For inquiries about the Book Fair and Children’s Literature Talks, you may e-mail email@example.com or call 352-6765 loc 204.
Press release from the Philippine Board on Books for Young People
Download the NCBD Poster